Anti Sexual Harassment cell
As per the Supreme Court Judgment and guidelines issued in 1997 to provide for the effective enforcement of the basic human right of gender equality and guarantee against sexual harassment and abuse, more particularly against sexual harassment at work places, the University Grants Commission (UGC) has issued circulars since 1998, to all the universities, advising them to establish a permanent cell and a committee and to develop guidelines to combat sexual harassment, violence against women and ragging in colleges and universities.
Definition of Sexual Harassment:
Sexual harassment is defined by law and includes requests for sexual favors, sexual advances or other sexual conduct when (1) submission is either explicitly or implicitly a condition affecting academic or employment decisions; (2) the behavior is sufficiently severe or pervasive as to create an intimidating, hostile or repugnant environment; or (3) the behavior persists despite objection by the person to whom the conduct is directed. The University considers such behavior, whether physical or verbal, to be a breach of its standards of conduct and will seek to prevent such incidents and take corrective action when sexual harassment occurs.
The following is also sexual harassment and is covered by the committee
- Unsavory remarks,
- Jokes causing or likely to cause awkwardness or embarrassment,
- Innuendos and taunts,
- Gender based insults or sexist remarks,
- Unwelcome sexual overtone in any manner such as over telephone (obnoxious telephone calls) and the like,
- Touching or brushing against any part of the body and the like,
- Displaying pornographic or other offensive or derogatory pictures, cartoons, pamphlets or sayings,
- Forcible physical touch or molestation and
- Physical confinement against one's will and any other act likely to violate one's privacy.
With the above guidelines, Dr. N.S.A.M First Grade College has established Anti Sexual Harassment Cell with the following objectives;
- To develop guidelines and norms for a policy against sexual harassment.
- To develop principles and procedures for combating sexual harassment.
- To work out details for the implementation of the policy
- To prepare a detailed plan of actions, both short and long term.
- To organize gender sensitization awareness program.
- To Prevent discrimination and sexual harassment against women, by promoting gender amity among students and employees.
- To deal with cases of discrimination and sexual harassment against women, in a time bound manner, aiming at ensuring support services to the victimized and termination of the harassment;
- Recommend appropriate punitive action against the guilty party to the Director.
Committee Members are:
- Mrs. Rajeshwari - Coordinator
- Mrs. Lakshmi M R – Member
( Assistant Professor)
- Mrs. Inderakala – Member
( Assistant Professor)
- Mrs. Nagalatha – Member
( Non-Teaching Staff)